The PITCH Selling Skills programme is appropriate for anyone involved in the sale of products or services where one to three interactions are needed to secure a sale and buying decisions are made by one or two decision makers. It will suit face-to-face and telephone based sellers, operating in either business to business or business to consumer sales environments, if they need a consultative sales approach that differentiates products and services against the competition, based on the customer’s needs.
- Why customers buy – the stages of making a purchasing decision.
- Competitive differentiation.
- The PITCH model:
- Presenting yourself: Prioritising prospects, effective call planning and persuasive outbound opening statements
- Investigating needs: Clever questioning to uncover needs and buying criteria that align with differentiators
- Tempting customers: Persuasive descriptions of how products / services meet customer needs
- Commitment gaining: Attaining high levels of commitment, reducing and handling objections
- Handing over: Positive call conclusion and next steps
- Growing the sale through add-ons and up-selling.
Methodology and practical issues
The programme comprises input, exercises, discussions, roleplays and real world application. Delegates work in small groups and pairs to practise applying PITCH behaviours, and analyse their own skills against the PITCH behavioural framework. It is usually delivered by one Huthwaite consultant for a maximum of twelve delegates.
The PITCH programme is modular. The first day of the programme covers the core skills and behaviours effective in consultative selling regardless of the sales environment in which sellers operate.
The second day of the programme would consist of whichever module below is most appropriate to your sales environment and needs, or could be delivered over three days if both modules are relevant:
Winning New Business
Where prospects are targeted on a proactive basis, through for example, outbound telephone campaigns and early enquiry follow-ups, or where prospects enquire to the sales team but are still at an early stage of exploring the market. Includes persuasive opening statements, handling initial objections, establishing the case for a customer to consider change.
Growing the Sale
Where prospects or existing customers are later in their decision making process, with a clearer understanding of their own needs and potential suppliers. Includes a focus on growing the value of the sale through identifying needs for add-ons and up-sells, persuasively describing solutions that are differentiated from the competition, and handling objections and concerns.
To maximise your return on investment, we can incorporate the following activities into a PITCH project:
- Pre-programme consultation to create customised roleplays and exercises.
- Pre and post programme measurement of skills against the PITCH behavioural framework; to provide data for benchmarking and on-going development.
- Training of PITCH coaches to support the continued development of sellers.
- Analysis of the impact of PITCH on skills, confidence and results.
- Multi-lingual roll-out.